Translate

Monday 22 April 2013

Sight-Seeing on Oxford Street - JLG Clift


16 worn white wheels stir against the churning concrete of Oxford Street vibrating with the traffic lumbering at the lights and the wheels whirl beneath their feet on a Saturday racing past me as I stumble to the northern line with my bags of shopping that are already nearly dropping through thinning orange bags about to burst apart like bubble gum and there’s a hum to the boarders movements that I get lost in for a moment as the 4 ride on by black jeans black shirts black boards black skies about tonight starting to drool downtown as the young boarders vie for the crown of the Lost Boys to be placed atop their feathered florescent heads and one’s sailing effortlessly on and on through the crowds eating McCoy’s ready salted or maybe Monster Munch lifted from a closing kiosk he was riding by and they’re crunching away between his teeth as he looks on with a stealing grace and a smirk on his face and the Dead Kennedys rave about the disgrace of a government well before his time in his ears but still he appreciates the rhymes and the riff grift-gained headphones brimming under his beanie. And there’s a priest in the distance saying something in this instance with a failing sarcastic tail that’s lost in his pious Priestly wail down the microphone.

“I live for me and everything is free if I want it to be”

Why doesn’t this prick just leave it alone and go back to his home to sit on his thrown and pick through the collection plate again or go to a young believer’s home to leave a stain on his altar boy robe after he’s has a good probe.

Fucking Vatican scumbags.

 I take another drag of my fag and continue to marvel at the boarder riding on like nothing belongs here but him his favourite song blaring loud enough for me to hear as his rivals jeer at him to no avail the other skaters paling in comparison to the boy pushing forward War Famine Death and Conquest foaming in his ears. He could listen to this song forever and feel perfectly complete as long as he was able to compete with the other 3 on the road who he’s goading as he grinds in front on the hard top Jag dragging off a sheet of sleet grey paint that’s officially silver and he gives them a glare and a finger to follow and the scarred car flares spitting sparks until the last axle finishes leaving its mark and returns to the tarmac rubble riding over the road works with a punk rock grace perfectly out of place in these recession roads going nowhere but the boys weave through the snares that have got us all snagged in their pay-day-loan shark teeth put there by televised thieves you can spot between shows everyone knows but no one cares and on we stare to get picked off in their sights blinded by their lights we can't seem to resist when luck is low and there's no money to go around.
I feel so old and so stale even though I’m only as old as the 4 in my Tom Ford suit thinking about how good the seasoned salmon I’ve just bought will taste with a flute of fresh French bread and they ride on and on and with a silent vibrance they live and I feel like I'm the walking dead like everyone else on the street who’s eyes are greeted by the flowing shadows keeping the wheels in motion shredding through the raging roads of urban ocean with an endless ease.

We’re just cones for them to ride through kicking flips as they jump skips and curbs still fighting for the throne I don’t think they’ve got a home to go to but that doesn’t matter to them because they live for moments like this their wheels skating over a collapsed tramp’s rank piss and the girl to my right is telling her chauffeur about how badly Francis kisses but he doesn’t care and the monster munch packet is dropped into a breeze and the shimmering purple grazes my straining knees and this priest is still pleasing the flock gathering around him in the ruins of what we tried to accrue Blairing greed bleeding through at last making the city a zoo for the church’s propaganda crew to trail through like sewage unfiltered unhalted consoling the masses and the iconoclasts clash with their preaching but the feud’s pointless because they’ve won and the flock minds are gone to religions ever-whirling storm much to my scorn. And the piss hisses and spits into the rich girls face, and gets absorbed into the lace of her Prada clutch and she starts screaming and the skaters continue to cut through us all like razor blades trail blazing neon hair hazy in the street lights and the fight’s drawing to a close as they round to Centre Point through the quiet of Soho square where the he-shes toss the down low city boys that secretly like their tom boys a little more boyish than most and the ghost boy with white hair at the back breezes to the front his lead sealed in the clunk and clatter of his wheels connecting to the pavement so out of place among the pasture patters of the average pedestrian as they get back to Oxford street and the rich girl’s now over the piss rambling about her equestrian skills to her driver about how she used to ride her pony near where Berlusconi’s villa used to be in Sicily.

“but that was before we went bust”

And then the boys fade from my gaze as I look to my side and it becomes clear, I see her trying to hide her sheer jacket that’s several years old and flaking, her shoulders shaking as the chauffeur reaches for her shoulder but she shifts away and then he tries to lift her knock off skirt greasy hand sifting up the fabric as the priest’s static stutters on but she brushes him back and I see the black bags dragging his face down similar sacks around the neon murmurs of her eyes nearly crying and I look to his right and see another girl in a similar state standing there 4 streaks one red one white one blue one green running through the black of her hair that sheens with filth and this one stumbles and mumbles something about riding a horse that gets lost in the pious crescendo of the priest’s preach where he’s teaching the flock to spot and help those in need.

“now let’s repeat our creed”

“good is the plant we are the seed good is the plant we are the seed good is the plant we are the seed”

And in the alley to the right the girl’s pleading as her pimp beats her limp driving fist after fist with viper hisses from between his rusty gold grills he beats her some more for bleeding on his new suit boots from the other girl connecting knocking the girl’s nose out of place to gain favour with her owner as the flock rant on and the chant rings out and I feel like a loner in the chaos and I’m in shell shock as I see the skate rats knock on the window of a Bentley limo and see the driver get out and loose the lock for them and the clouting continues for the girl in the alley and the priest goes on to tell us about Bartimaeus in a Valley near Jericho and above the beaten girl now left alone to rot her wounds clotting but not fast enough I see an advert for the giant merry-go-round at the Plaza that’s out of date and now I long for the underground where I only have to hear the sounds of this place and these people and this city.

“and the lord took pity on the man and let him see the world for all that it was”

Because god’s a comedian.

“and he could see again and he weeped for joy”

And the Lost Boys seep back into their ways done for the day done playing poor in the streets ready to kick back and put their feet up in Chelsea with the rest of the rich and wealthy and this place feels unhealthy to be in tonight my skin feels sleazy my thoughts are uneasy and I feel queasy and I want the priest and the pimp and the boys and my sight to leave me so I can be happy again and I begin running as the priest, now done, walks the ‘final reduction’ shop-slums to spread the words that need to be heard when said by him (apparently) and the girl manages to crawl to shelter from the hail bashing against her bloodied pale skin under a tattered shop canapĂ© that’s closing down any day now and the heard still chase the priest cows tailing a cultural abattoir their feet tracking across the slick earth of the meat works in his path to be churned out through the grinder into a fine paste for the priest to feast upon in exchange for the promise of eternal peace and the sights never cease to shock me no matter how much I’m here and I just want to be free from this disgraceful district. Not that it’s any better out there in the suburbs but at least I’ve got a guy who can sell me some herbs to help let this all go by before my eyes without crying as I watch people die and rot forced by fate to cruelly keep breathing continuing to toss their lots to failing hands stealing their money leaving them stranded and lost.
But I don't have to take these sights anymore tonight.

I make it to the tube and I take my seat and on the last train out I flee from the sick of Oxford Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment